FIRM ROOTS YOUTH MINISTRY (6-12)
"Him we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone mature in Christ." Colossians 1:28
Mission Statement: We desire to see young people converted by the gospel of Jesus Christ and discipled so that they may grow up to be healthy and fruitful members of the local church who advance the kingdom of Christ.
OUR CORE VALUES:
- The Word of God. Romans 10:17 "So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ." The teaching and preaching of the word of God is the means by which God brings people to faith, as well as to nourish that faith once it has been formed. Therefore, the majority of what we do as a ministry is centered around teaching and instructing in the scriptures.
- Prayer. Colossians 4:3 "At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ..." While the teaching and preaching of the word is indeed a means of bringing people to faith, so also is prayer. When we pray, we confess that we have no ability to open hearts and minds but that that power belongs to God alone. Therefore, in prayer, we pray that the Holy Spirit would work in hearts so that the word of God may bear fruit.
- Relationships. 2 Timothy 2:2 "and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men, who will be able to teach others also." Relationships between students, parents, and leaders is an essential part of the discipleship process. We seek to invest in the lives of students, to challenge them to “make their calling and election sure,” to encourage them to use the gifts that God has given them, to prepare them for life in the church; and relationships are one of the ways we seek to do this.
- Worship. John 15:8 "By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples." We were created to bring God glory; therefore, we provide students with opportunities to not only receive but also to give back, whether that’s in prayer, songs of praise to God, or service projects, we want our students to learn the joy found in serving God and serving others, especially those of the household of God.
THE OUTWORKING OF OUR CORE VALUES:
- Sunday School: We are currently meeting in the Choir Room at 9 am to study the book of Matthew.
- Tuesday Night Youth Group: We meet at the ministry house, directly outside the western gate of the main campus, at 6:30 pm. We have a game time from 6:30 – 7:30, followed by a brief snack, prayer from 7:30-7:45, and then a bible study from 7:45-8:30. We are currently studying the book of 1 Samuel.
- Special Event: We usually have one special event a month. Our normal schedule is that for two months in a row, we will have one “fun” event of some kind per month. The third month’s event will be a service project of some kind. On the fourth month, we will have no special events, in order to rest. We then repeat the cycle.
Oct. 28: Reformation Day Costume Party
- Monthly Prayer meeting: Once a month, the leaders gather together with parents and any students who wish to join to seek God and ask him to work in the lives of the students.
- Youth Retreats: Once a year, we have a Jr. High camp and a High School camp in the summer months. Our next retreats will be in the Summer of 2018. More details to follow.
A BRIEF WORD ABOUT OUR WIDE AGE RANGE
Firm Roots has a broad age range of students, from 6th-12th grade, which means that our students come from many different life stages, each with their own challenges. We seek to be sensitive to this in two ways: first, we play games that will be safe and fun for all age ranges; and second, any sort of small groups that we do are separated by gender and age (Jr. High/Sr. High). We want each age group to have a setting in which they can safely and freely discuss how the Bible addresses the unique challenges, temptations, and joys that students their age are facing.
For more information, please contact Ryan Hodson, Jr. High and High School Ministry: Ryan.Hodson@TCBible.com.